Vertical Exhaust Duct (VED)
Airflow optimisation is certainly the next step in creating more energy-efficient data centres. Furthermore, airflow optimisation is very important not just to the proper functioning of the server, network and storage equipment, but also to the temperature control and the general stability of the data centre. Minkels supplies high quality solutions for the efficient management of airflows in your data centre. Solutions include the Minkels Next Generation Corridor. In order to provide even higher flexibility in several airflow optimisation applications, Minkels has developed the ‘Vertical Exhaust Duct’ system.
Vertical Exhaust Duct
There are many ways in which airflows can be separated, such as through the application of cold aisle containment, hot aisle containment or closed loop setups. In all cases, the mixing of hot and cold airflows is prevented at rack or row level, thus eliminating inefficiency. The VED system transports warm airflows from the top of the (server)rack to a central cooling system using an air duct. The VED system is attached to the (server)rack with a specially designed roof plate. The upper part of the VED is telescopic and can easily be slid under the lowered ceiling. A packing seal at the top ensures a proper air seal, even if the lowered ceiling is not fully level!
In order to achieve the best result, the total rack solution must be viewed as including the VED. This will generate the highest savings. Minkels has developed a number of accessories which contribute to this:
- Optimised roof panels
- Rack airflow optimisation packages
- Door sealing strips to prevent from leaking around the doors
The following is a typical configuration
- Perforated doors at the front for the intake of cold air for the IT-equipment.
- An optimised 19-inch interior for an airtight separation between the cold and warm side of the rack.
- A closed backdoor with airtight sealing strips. This prevents the warm air from leaking into the data centre.
- A specially designed roof plate with the Minkels VED system. The VED system ensures that the hot air which emanates from the IT-equipment can only flow back to the central cooling installation through the lowered ceiling.
Cold air is provided at the front. Because of the airtight sealing, this can only be removed as hot air through the VED system. This VED system allows you to cool up to 15 kW per rack.